Saturday, August 8, 2009

New Job!


Well, this week I started my new job at the Cancer Clinic! I somehow survived!!! Actually, I think it's going to be a great job for me. Everyone has been very nice and welcoming, willing to answer questions. I have been learning all kinds of things about cancer that I never knew, especially the chemo meds and other meds.
My job includes starting IV's, accessing port-a-caths, drawing blood, giving chemo and other medications. Eventually I will start mixing medications. It's been interesting to see the beginning to the end, because we are responsible for scheduling appointments, working with doctors, drawing blood, working with the doctors, giving the meds and treatments, charting, and billing.
The most frustrating part about this new job has been missing IV's. In the ER, I am usually pretty good and am able to put 16, 18, and 20 gauge needles in any vein. The cancer clinic uses 22 and 24 gauge needles (small), but a whole different system than I am used to. I have been misisng or blowing IV's over and over, and am so frustrated. Everyone says this is normal and an adjustment, so hopefully I will figure it out soon! And I must say the Ports are awesome!
I am still working one day a week in the ER, which is awesome because I still love it there and it will probably always be my favorite place! There is nothing else like being an ER nurse with top notch skills and constant change and excitement! I love the new schedule with my new job! Getting off at a decent hour rocks...I get so much done at night. Waking up early in the morning is awesome...get to get out and smell the roses. Another perk at the clinic is that drug reps bring in lunch everyday and they don't subtract any time for lunch! So, I will stay updated with how the new jobs goes!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Camille said...

Congratulations on the new job! They are so lucky to have you! Definitely keep us posted!

August 10, 2009 at 8:34 AM  
Blogger Cami and Mitch said...

Yes, congrats on the new job! It is always good to learn new things. I love L&D so much I don't think I could bring myself to leave though. Happy late birthday!

August 10, 2009 at 10:25 PM  
Blogger Zeb, Hilary, & Camden said...

How fun working in a different area. That is what is so great about nursing, there are so many various areas to work in you could never get sick of it. Good luck with your new job, I am sure you will be great and will learn loads!

August 13, 2009 at 11:07 PM  
Blogger Joey, Amber, Ken , Ellie, Bruce and Patrick said...

Sounds like a fun job! Good luck!

August 17, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home